Saturday, June 30, 2012

Potato Tornado

It's been a wild couple of nights weatherwise at the Yankee Baker homestead--yesterday yours truly nearly got smooshed in her car by a tree limb and currently we're under a tornado warning--yes, I realise being on a computer in the midst of a ridiculous storm cell is typically ill-advised, but I have a Very Important Blog to update, so we'll just deal with the danger.  I had some pleasant adventures in the kitchen, including the culinary conclusion to the Great Zucchini Bread Caper--last four loaves are baked, cooled and ready to be ensconced in cling film, tin foil and boxes to be delivered with love to some of the Yankee Baker's nearest and dearest.

But enought about the dang zucchini bread!  I'm as tired of talking about it as you are of hearing about it.  In fact, let's leave baking behind entirely for a post!  Let's talk cooking!  Specifically, the delicious meal I had tonight when it was hot and hazy but the sky wasn't threatening to wash us off the map.  I acquired some farm fresh corn on the cob at the market this morning and decided it was an evening for Omaha Steak steaks and roasted potatoes to go along with my delectable veg.  Plan of action: roast potatoes, boil corn, grill steaks.

Confession: I hate charcoal grills.

I know to some of you this is sacrilege.  Oh but the flavour! you say.  So much better! you claim.  Here's the thing: I was raised on a gas grill.  I have grilled a few times on the Weber.  I taste no difference.  You know when I do taste a difference?  When I'm cooking over wood.  Give me a campfire or historic hearth and yes, there is a slight difference in taste--it's called woodsmoke.  But charcoal/lighter fluid v propane?  Nada.  Here's what I do notice about charcoal grills that's different from propane ones: they are pains in the asses.  Difficult to get started, impossible to turn off, just all around annoying.  Particularly tonight, when the damn thing exploded at me and roasted my knuckles.  On top of that, while I'm at the sink trying to stop the skin of my hands from cooking, I discover some of my hair had been singed in the inferno.  For crying out loud!  (By the way, this is a rant my coworker (aka Southern Blogger) would call a releasing of my inner Joe Pesci, or a revelation of my Jersey.  It happens.)  Gimme a good ol' propane grill that allows me to switch it on and off, adjust the heat level and doesn't try to char ME in addition to my food and I'm much happier.

Anywho, steaks marinaded in an herby garlicky concoction from a bottle, grilled up nicely and were delicious.  Corn boiled, was buttered, salted, peppered and also delicious.  Potatoes...well, they are the reason for today's post!  Here is my recipe for uber delicious, uber easy roasted potatoes that you could make any day.  These are different from the roast potatoes the Yankee Baker family has at Christmas, because those require the addition of a roast beef, Yorkshire puddings and, well, the Yankee Baker's family (specifically her dad because he makes said complicated roast potatoes).
  1. Preheat oven to 325.  Make sure it's good and hot before you pop your taters in it.
  2. The nice thing about this recipe is there's no measuring involved, so feel free to make a single serving up to a whole bag of spuds if you're feeding a small army.  However many potatoes you decide to do, make sure they're peeled.  Then cut them into small chunks--you don't want them teeny tiny, but if they're too big, they won't get crispy.  I usually get 8-12 pieces out of my spuds.
  3. Toss your tater chunks into a baking dish large enough to hold them.   Quarter a few cloves of garlic; add them to the spuds.  Sprinkle on some parmesan cheese, dried rosemary, paprika, sea salt and coarse ground black pepper as your taste buds desire.
  4. Douse the seasoned spuds with olive oil and toss it all together.
  5. Roast your potatoes for 45 minutes.  Stir, then cook for an additional 10-20 minutes, or until potatoes are golden brown and crispy on the outside.
  6. OM NOM NOM!
These potatoes go well with just about any meal, so give it a shot with your next dinner.  The leftovers perk up pretty decently in the toaster oven, so don't worry if you can't pack them all away on the first go around.  Bon appetit, friends of the interwebs!

1 comment:

  1. LOOOOOOOOOOOO! your grill is a ferocious gangster. i too taste no difference between charcoal and propane. in fact, the only time i ever did taste a difference was a freak (and grotesque!) grilling where for some reason the veggie kabobs TASTED LIKE LIGHTER FLUID. ew.

    ReplyDelete