Friday, October 19, 2012

The 13 Days of Pumpkin: Birthday Shoutout!

Where's your party hat, pumpkin?!
Today is an historic day: First, it marks the day in 1781 that the combined American and French armies forced General Lord Cornwallis to surrender the British army, effectively ending the American Revolution, and second, it marks the official entry of my father into senior citizenhood!  Yeehaw and happy day, Yankee Daddy!  (It's also my cousin's birthday--significantly less advanced in years than my dad--so I'd like to happy day holla at him!)

There was a year when my sister and I were little that my dad was unemployed and we got to spend a lot of quality time with Yankee Daddy.  The thing I remember best of all from this time was the French toast he would make for us some mornings (and that my sister picked up on my dad's English accent and started dropping her R's).  So in honour of Yankee Daddy's day of birth and our fest of fall gourd, tonight's recipe is Pumpkin French Toast.

A very simple yet scrumptious recipe: In a shallow bowl or pie tin, whisk together 3 eggs, 1/2 cup milk, 3/4 canned pumpkin and 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice until smooth.  Slather both sides of sliced bread in the mixture and cook 1-2 minutes each side on a hot skillet or griddle until golden.  Top with maple syrup and serve with your favourite breakfast side (did someone say BACON?!).  Told you it was simple!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY POPS!  I LOVE YOU!
Birthday Toast!  Make a wish!

1 comment:

  1. happy birthday to yo daddy!! and this also looks delish.

    ReplyDelete