Saturday, October 13, 2012

The 13 Days of Pumpkin: SOUP!

Okay, Recipe #4 and I think it's time for something savoury and pumpkinny for a change.  This recipe came to me via an email from the oh-so-delectable Panera last year and because it was so delicious when I made it then, I thought it would be a perfect addition to this month's repertoire.
Bibbi-di-bobbi-di-soup!
In typical Yankee Baker fashion, something screwy had to happen with this recipe when I went to start it, viz a viz, I forgot to buy fresh carrots (yes, I've finally run out of those, uh, spectacular little creatures former roommie left behind).  I also forgot to pick up more garlic cloves, but I did remember the coconut milk and vegetable broth, so things could have been worse.  The garlic I knew wouldn't be too much of an issue since I have more powdered garlic in my spice cupboard than any sane person should probably rightfully own (blame other former roomie for buying spices I already own!), but not even I can make carrots appear out of thin air.  Just when I was starting to despair, I remembered: bagged carrots weren't the only ones former roomie left behind!  CANNED CARROTS!  Who ever thought this guy would be my culinary hero?  Seriously.  Cos I didn't.
Who could forget these lovely fellows?

Hokay, so, turns out what I didn't have I did have in alternative forms, and Curried Pumpkin Soup could commence.  Get thee a large pot.  Into it, toss 1 tablespoon canola oil  and 1 tablespoon butter.  Heat through over medium heat.  Add 1 cup chopped onion (I don't like onion much therefore don't typically have them to hand, so you can substitute 1 teaspoon onion powder), 3/4 cup chopped carrots, 2 cloves minced garlic (or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder), 2 teaspoons fresh minced ginger (or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger) and 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder.  Cook it up till the carrots are tender, about 5-8 minutes (unless you're using canned carrots, in which case only about 2-3 minutes).  Add 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 10 minutes.  Stir in 2 15 oz cans of pumpkin, 1 cup coconut milk (the unsweetened kind), 1/2 teaspoon salt and a pinch of sugar and cook it up for 2 minutes.  Transfer to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.  Toss it all back into the pot and heat through.  Serve with some delicious crusty bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment